Spent the day on a Cub Scout field trip. We visited:
- Northern Star Council’s newest indoor adventure base – Base Camp. Was very impressed with the facilities and it looks like our Troop may try and go there for a day sometime in April.
- MN Air National Guard Museum. I geeked out more than the kids here, as I’m a pretty big history and aviation buff. Wanna visit there again in the summer when I can tour all the planes outside. Kids had a blast sitting in the simulators and planes.
- 133rd Airlift Wing‘s fire department. The boys got to eat lunch here, and then try on all of the gear. They also got to sit in one of the trucks and learn about what they do here.
- Minneapolis/St. Paul Airport’s fire station #1. This place is big! They boys got to sit in a bunch of trucks and learned all about what the firemen and women do at this station on a daily basis. By the end of this, they were all getting pretty rammy (Wolf Cubs, after all).
- After the field trip, my family took me out to dinner for my birthday. Then it was time to come home and crash.
- Scout Sunday – was ushering at our church and I was the lay reader, so I needed to be in full uniform (minus the socks). My wife and both sons wore their uniforms too as did the other families who are involved in Scouting that attend our church. I even wound up calling them all forward this morning and letting the congregation know what we’ve been up to and what we have on our plates for the next month. At the end of service, we closed with Scout Vespers. Best part of the service – being up front singing vespers and seeing an 80-something year old Scouter singing Vespers with his eyes shut – he still knows the words – and I’m sure he was 15 again around some campfire while we were singing that. Really made my day.
- Nothing else Scout related today – after all, it’s my birthday!
Keep on Scouting!